[ale] [OT] The Marketing Deluded Consumer Society Explained

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Jul 14 11:22:30 EDT 2010

Hello Aaron,

Sunday, June 27, 2010, 10:40:40 PM, you wrote:

>  iPhone  vs  HTC  Evo Android

> note:  basically rated R for rude language and genitalia reference

> Also, may be too true to be funny.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Seems to have finally gotten the attention of CNET, which, in turn, has unsurprisingly caught the attention of the Apple fanboys and iPhone lubbers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20010201-64.html

Funny thing, I have had similar (okay, much more boring) conversations with users of various software products - mostly Microsoft Office and Outlook - when I explained why they were constantly having troubles with their machines.  Not surprisingly, they spent more on my services than other clients who listened to the advice for which they paid.

OTOH, I did have someone that was adamant that they absolutely had to have Windows on a netbook.  I showed them a few different Linux netbook editions and she practically drooled over them.  I guess eyecandy appeal is more important to some people than security, stability, resources, etc. as long as the person is able to still do their F*c*book and Twits.  Fortunately, there are some absolutely beautiful netbook distros and desktop pc distros that offer the eyecandy AND the stability, security, and all the functionality wanted by said F*c*book twits. (Sorry - Mark D. Suckerberg's privacy issues just irks that crap out of me as does the idiotic belief by the other  that they now have the right to trademark the word 'tweet'... not to mention the bizarre adoration of those two by the twit-faced public.)

At least said adoration of the two social mediums is driving people to want devices that will allow them the most efficient and pleasurable interaction with the services; I'm noticing people not caring about the operating system behind those devices as long as the devices do what the people want.  That means we have an opportunity as an OS-based community to turn sheeple into pengwinners. Maybe there is a use for tweetbook that we can exploit after all...

Cheers,
Robert "I've-deleted-my-f*c*book-account" Reese~