[ale] poll: WRT54G 3rd-party firmware for wireless bridge

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 23:31:07 EDT 2010

On 7/13/10 5:00 PM, Brian MacLeod wrote:

> This evening I'll take a look and make the necessary corrections.

And, here they are (also updated site).

Creating a DD-WRT Bridge

   1. Connect to router with a computing device of your choice, via
Ethernet (NOT WIRELESS)

   2. Log into router, change username and password as it may request.

   3. Go to Status -> Wireless, and at the bottom find Site Survey.

   4. Run the survey, and when you find your wireless network, hit Join

   5. Router should now have you at the Wireless -> Basic settings. If
not already set, switch wireless mode to Client Bridge

   6. DO NOT PRESS ?APPLY SETTINGS!!! Hit ?Save Settings?

   7. Go to Wireless -> Wireless Security, and add WPA2 key, if
necessary (and I hope you have made it necessary?)

   8. DO NOT PRESS ?APPLY SETTINGS!!! Hit ?Save Settings?

   9. Go to Setup -> Basic Settings, and set an IP address appropriate
for your wireless network but NOT handed out via DHCP

  10. Set any other setting, like, the NTP server address so your router
can have correct time

  11. DO NOT PRESS ?APPLY SETTINGS!!! Hit ?Save Settings?

and turn on Web GUI. A box will open below that to allow you to change
the port if you wish (and would be easier if you made it 80, instead of
the 8080 default)

  13. Now, if you want to, you can hit ?Apply Settings?. The router will
reboot, and should join your network.

Brian