[ale] [OT] The Marketing Deluded Consumer Society Explained

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:03:35 EDT 2010

OMG! OMG! OT POST! OT POST! THE SKY IS FALLING!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

</snark>

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 07/13/2010 11:43 AM, Larry Johnson wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> that was hysterical!!!
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com>wrote:

>>>  > Also, may be too true to be funny.

>>>  No, that was so true it was hilarious.  I laughed till I cried.
>>>
>>> Michael

> It's absolutely true (and hilarious).  But phones aren't the worst arena
> where the marketing stupidity kicks in.  As a cyclist I watch people become
> convinced that their weekend and evening cycling (requires that they be
> equipped for the Tour De France.  About three years ago I did the MAAC's One
> Love Century (hundred mile bike ride) and wound up partnering with a guy who
> spent the last 20 miles of the ride trying to convince me that the reason I
> was struggling was that my $1000 road bike was inadequate, and that I should
> have a $5000 bike with a $400 wheelset like his.  I tried to explain as
> gently as I could, that no, it was because I was (at that time) 57 years
> old, had already ridden 80 miles, and the temperature had reached 103
> degrees.  I expected to struggle, and having the latest in carbon fiber
> technology would only have helped me marginally.
>
> Larry
>

> Years back, I had a strong interest in photography and even worked in a
> camera store for a few months. We were constantly seeing customers who
> wouldn't be satisfied unless they had the most expensive camera. The same
> people wouldn't spend $40 on a photography course that would teach them the
> basics of composing a shot. In those years, the most creative pictures I saw
> were taken by a hobbyist who was using a pinhole camera that scrolled strips
> of 10 in. film. He built the whole rig himself.

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992