[ale] SCO at it again

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 07:47:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Robert Reese <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> Monday, July 12, 2010, 3:54:28 PM, you wrote:
>
> > I thought SCO was long gone dead and buried. Seems they are filing
> > another lawsuit...
>
> > http://3pfb.sl.pt
>

> Not at it again, just still at it.  This is merely an expected appeal to
> the verdicts.  Even if they somehow succeed in getting one or more rulings
> remanded back to the trial court then what the upshot of it is will be more
> expense for SCO that they cannot afford.
>
> It is only an attempt at delaying the inevitable death of SCO.
>
> Cheers,
> R~

About once a week I catch up with  the "progress" of the SCO suits, mostly
out of habit, since the case was really settled long ago.  I haven't figured
out exactly why they continue to the case, although there are several
reasonable explanations.

One is that they've been doing it so long that they have no other
expectation from life.  I can relate to that on a personal level.  At one
point I was running a business, and was personally miserable.  Unlike SCO I
was actually making money, but not enough to justify the mind-numbing misery
of spending 80 or ninety hours a week on that enterprise.  I just thought
that it was inevitable that I keep the wretched thing moving along.  SCO's
executives have been doing this for so long that may be a factor.

Another is that "hope springs eternal".  They may just think it's worth
doing because there's still a billion dollar jackpot in the end, and some
court or jury will change the momentum.

The third is that they are afraid that when the case ends some litigious
stockholder will manage to pierce the corporate veil and hold them
personally responsible for the losses.  This isn't a far fetched scenario
given that the early supporters of Caldera/SCO were enthusiastic supporters
of litigation.

Whatever the reason, the SCO case exceeded my ability to hold the details in
my head about three years ago.  At this point I assume it's going back to
the Tenth Circuit, but that's another detail I've lost the ability to
retain.

Larry
--
"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack