[ale] Request to Reduce Off Topic Posts

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 21:39:20 EDT 2010

This email is looks to be the best to fork off of to explain my
support of the "less OT" subject.

When I joined the list (2003? [1]) I was using Linux on a daily basis
as my primary OS. I had been using Linux for several years prior to
joining the list. I joined because I wanted to see what I could learn
from folks in my area. It turns out that I ended up answering more
questions than I asked, but I enjoyed it.

A few years ago I needed to purchase my own laptop for school. At that
time I made the decision that I did not want to have to maintain, at a
low level, the OS on my laptop. But I knew I couldn't go with Windows,
that would just be too painful. So I opted to give OS X a shot. Since
then I've come to use Linux in different ways than before.

I now use Linux on servers (primarily Debian, unless I'm forced to
choose otherwise [I hate you Red Hat]) and my HTPC (Arch Linux, here).
So my interaction with Linux has gone _way_ down. As a result, my
interest in much of the traffic on this list has gone way down.

_However_, there are still some questions that come through that I
want to try and answer. Amid all of the Ubuntu and Fedora specific
questions (which are on topic!) there are the occasional fun ones, and
I'll chime in when I have a minute. There are also the cool, on topic,
posts like [2].

Which brings me to my issue with OT threads (and in turn threads that
get renamed OT): I'm here to help with Linux issues that interest me
and learn about the occasional neat Linux based project. Sifting
through the on topic stuff for those things is enough. Adding in the
OT threads just makes me wonder if maintaining my subscription is even
worth it.

That being said, I'm not opposed to the occasional OT thread. But they
have become a majority of the traffic on the list lately. And,
frankly, that's the point of an IRC channel -- real-time communication
about whatever strikes your fancy.

[1] -- http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.ale/75
[2] -- http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.ale/75227

--