[ale] OT got my first job as a Computer Professional *kinda*

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Jul 11 10:13:18 EDT 2010

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010, jrtroberts wrote:

> I got a call on Thursday from a recruiting office in Nebraska, must be
> cheaper in Nebraska, about installing a DVD NOW (essentially a redbox)
> vending machine at an IGN in Marble Hill, GA.  (one time gig)
>
> pays $15 an hour with $15 Travel and time limit is 1.5 hours.  Based on
> the instruction manual there is almost nothing to it.  My job is just to
> open the guts and make sure the moving parts are not broken, then plug

Congrats! You are no longer a hobbiest or amateur.

Just in case they don't require it already:
Once upon a time when I did this kind of work for a "jobber",
I found that taking pictures of installs, customers locations,
broken equipment, etc.. absolutely invaluable. If you have a
phone (camera phone is fine..) take pics and save them.
It helps when they say: The frammel rod is bent and you did not check
that..  and you can show them the pic of the unit with a perfect frammel
rod and the money acceptor intact when you installed it.

*frammel rod is a fictitious part.