[ale] Off topic - And now, Arizona

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 03:48:59 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree. Monorail has been discussed here many times and appears to be a
> more cost effective solution for TCO per mile. Plus I've stood under the
> monorail at Disney as it blasts by and the damn thing is QUIET! I've stood
> under a MARTA line and the "L" train in Chicago and they are quite the
> opposite in terms of noise pollution. Noisy makes for unhappy neighbors =
> lower property values = bad idea.

I'm not current enough on monorail to argue its relative merits, but a
longstanding joke told by transportation engineering professionals sums up
its actual prospects for adoption:

"Monorail is the transportation of the future -- and it always will be".

Larry

--
"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack