[ale] Off topic - And now, Arizona

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:39:49 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com>wrote:

> It's so full of irony that people in GA are so wound up about this. The
> poultry industry in N. GA, farming in S. GA and the building trade in
> Atlanta would be devastated if, overnight, GA was swept "clean". They
> tried once to clean the illegals off the farms in FL and the farm owners
> revolted on the spot.
>
> How many of those most fervent are the same ones who pick up laborers
> behind Home Depot or have their yards done by a bunch of guys south of
> the border?
>
> wf

You betcha.  In the late 1980s when the Mexican immigration to Atlanta was
just cranking up big time, I ran a commercial cabinet shop mostly servicing
the  commercial building industry.  I hired a few immigrant workers, who
produced about three times the amount of output per capita of  the other
workers in the shop.  At the time I strongly suspected these guys were here
without documents, although I did the minimal necessary under the law at
that time to validate their citizenship (no one ever told me I was required
to become an expert at checking the validity of documents).  Recently, in a
discussion with a wingnut acquintance he got very exercised when I told him
the situation, and shouted that I should be in jail.    When I didn't
express the proper remorse I was told I was not only a criminal (for hiring
productive workers) but a smug criminal.

If you were to really deport every Mexican (or Central American) worker who
was here illegal the commerical construction industry would collapse.
 That's a simple fact.

Larry