[ale] Trying to Install a Realtek NIC Driver on Fedora 13

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 23:02:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Thanks fellas for the excellent suggestions. It's funny that
>> "kernel-devel" and "gcc" don't come preinstalled in the Live version. It
>> probably would have made this process a whole lot easier. Since I am working
>> offline I'll try and get the RPMs onto a USB key. My other box is Windows.
>>
>> No need for devel or gcc on a live CD. Limited space makes for a limited
> install. Live CD's usually don't provide development tools. The Fedora live
> CD is specifically for showcasing the user environment.

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
> Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits
>
>  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
> faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
>    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992

I have an odd question. Since you guys were able to build the file without
any issues can you simply attach it to this thread? You might have noticed
that I'm really sparactic with dealing with this issue. My LAN has been
hosed for over a month (almost two) and I haven't been on my linux partition
since. I'm still dealing with restoring GRUB.

So; my thinking is whenever I do tackle this that:

1. I should get the NIC driver figured out, by having that .ko file handy.
2. This means I either restore GRUB, get back into Fedora 12 and build the
file there
  a. or get it from you guys
3. Backup my files and wipe the hard drive!
3. Once the NIC issue is figured out, install Fedora 13 (use my newly
acquired .ko driver to get online) and continue my wonderful adventures in
the world of Linux

--
Marc Ferguson

Registered Linux User #410978
www.fergytech.com | www.digitalalias.net

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"