[ale] interesting yet annoying problem

Asher Vilensky ashervilensky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:41:37 EDT 2010

My wife (a computer illiterate)  uses her Inspiron Mini with Ubuntu 10.04 on
it from a public place.  If she chooses to hibernate (the computer, that is)
or suspend or she just closes the lid, when she resumes the little wireless
icon is gone from the top bar.  I can't figure how to restore it, other than
reboot.  (I tried with my account to ifdown/ifup the interface, but with no
success.  I did notice that when the icon was gone the IP was really strange
- 10.42.something.something.  After reboot it had the expected 192.168.1.*.
I think, but don't wanna put money on it yet, that when we use it from the
house, it always picks up where left off with the right network connection.
Due to some situation not to be specified here, I can't take the computer
for testing at home.)

Anybody observed this and found how to renew the wireless connection upon
resumption?  The answer "must" be for the novice user.  I'm not gonna bother
her with terminal sudo stuff.

-- Asher