[ale] Linux rescue CD

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jul 1 10:11:37 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 17:42 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 08:37 AM, Larry Johnson wrote:
> > I need a live CD to use for basically booting up a machine and doing
> > hardware detection and diagnostics.  I can do that with pretty much any
> > Linux live CD, but is there a distribution which is particularly well
> > suited for this?
>
> I'm seconding James suggestion. I love, love, love SystemRescueCD. I
> should probably donate some money to the project. It provides a great
> selection of tools [0], a very flexible set of boot options [1], and
> fantastic documentation [2].
>
> [0] http://sysresccd.org/System-tools
> [1] http://sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Booting_the_CD-ROM
> [2] http://sysresccd.org/Online-Manual-EN

This is good but it is giving me problems on older harder.  I'm trying
to boot a system with only 128M of memory and the CD uses most of that.
I'm also having problems on the VIA-RHINE II in the system with very
high packet loss.  I've pulled it off the Cisco and put it on a generic
switch and I still experience the same problem.  Not sure if it is
related to the lack of memory or driver issues.   I can not boot Ubuntu
because I do not have enough memory.  Any smaller rescue systems?   I do
have the BBC but that last saw an update in 2003.