[ale] Home Data Server Project

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Fri Feb 26 19:07:21 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 18:43 -0500, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Thnak u all for the input. I didn't think about the heat. The wife and
> I talked and we decided that we should drop cable where the phone
> lines are and then we could put the server somewhere cool.
>
> With that said, if we dropped wire from the roof then we'd have to
> punch them all into a router, right!?

Well, typically, people have a router for access to the ISP (cable
modum, w/4 ethernet ports and/or wireless).  A switch will be needed to
add more computers then that (then what your router will have).  Lower
end, cable provided routers only have one port on them.  Just run a
cable from a port on the router to a port on a switch, then connect all
the other computers to the switch.  A good 1G (home) switch can be had
for $45-85 with all the ports you need (most of the home swithes are
auto sensing, IIRC, so it will not matter what port goes to the router).

Ext4 is very stable and is in production in RHEL5.4, IIRC.  Certainly in
Ubuntu Server and in Fedora.  I don't know the state of the drivers for
windows.

Drop some money on a usb drive (look for a sale on Newegg or
mircocenter) and you can get a 1TB drive for $85 (that is what I did).
Just back up your needed files daily/weekly/monthly/what ever your
tolerance is.  Cheaper then raid.

HTH.