[ale] OT: Hard drive errors

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 19:23:18 EST 2010

They are cumulative as far as I know. I have a quartet where 3 Seagates are
failing badly according to palimpset and last week one began a heavy
clicking noise and certain apps failed to run. That drive holds the apps on
that system.

My understanding of palimpset is it can read the counters on the circuit
boards of many drives and extract the error data. Those counters are not
resetable without damaging the board.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyone know if the error counts that can be retrieved from the
> individual drives with the Palimpsest Disk Utilities get reset on power
> off or are they cumulative? I'm interested in the Read Error Rate, Seek
> Error Rate, High Fly Write, and Hardware ECC Recovered counts. Also what
> is the max count each register can hold?
>
> I'm kind of concerned with my Seagate drives all seem to have high
> numbers in these areas, but the WDs are all 0

James P. Kinney III