[ale] Home Data Server Project

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 26 11:02:56 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 10:37 AM, drifter wrote:
> I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the attic
> is NOT a good place to put a server -- at least not in Atlanta.
> Temperatures in a well ventilated attic in the summer will easily
> exceed 100F; poorly ventilated ones get much hotter. I wouldn't
> trust any modern CPU to be reliable in that hot an environment.
>
> Sean

I hadn't even thought about the attic, though, mostly because I was
tired.  I blame that.  :-)  But you're right, it'd be a very poor choice
for equipment that wasn't somehow already supercooled.  That'd be more
costly than it'd be worth, I'd imagine.

Personally, it sounds to me like this should be a "permanently
installed" sort of thing:  Find a good spot in a thick wall, run wiring
to it, and cut out a hole in the wall just big enough for the server and
its wires to go in.  Integration for the win.  For extra points, put in
a sleeved housing of some sort with ventilation holes and clips to hold
the wiring where it needs to be so that the server can be slid in and
out if necessary for repair/maintenance.

Of course, one would need to pull out insulation from the area for
obvious reasons and ensure that there is enough ventilation available
(or create additional small holes for ventilation and use the thing as
an "extra heat" generator!).

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475