[ale] OT: Firefox just keeps reloading GMail

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 26 01:43:10 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 01:38 AM, JK wrote:
> Honestly, plugins crashing has never been a problem for me with FF.

The only major problem for me has been Flash.  Specifically, I started
using Chrome after O'Reilly's Safari updated to their new stupid Flash
book reader thing.  I guess they didn't like using standard HTML to
display books or something, I don't know.  I was fine with it in HTML.
Instead they had to go write a buggy Flash app that brought Firefox down
pretty hard after reading a page or two.  So I'd have to start up, get
back, etc., etc.; with Chrome, if it crashes, I just press F5 and it
comes back, and I have my page, and I continue reading.  Easy, easy.

> I've got 15 tabs open in Chrome right now and it's reasonably
> snappy, still. Sometimes FF can eat 80 or 90% of my CPU, and I'm
> seeing nothing like that.  Though I just had to wait about 8 seconds
> for a Slashdot page to display when I switched to its tab (I'd already
> loaded the page hours ago).

I'm going to guess that your kernel swapped that process to disk because
it wasn't being used.  What's your swappiness set to?

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475