[ale] [OT] Psychology of Denial about Climate Change

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:11:14 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> This GOP rallying cry hides a certain facetiousness:  we have been and
> already are.
>
> The US produces more than 90% of the petroleum products it consumes and
> imports about 3M barrels per day of refined petroleum products.
> Furthermore, we export almost 2M barrels a day of oil, almost all of it in
> the form of refined products.
>
> We import more oil from non-OPEC countries than OPEC countries and that has
> been true since the 1990s and was true through much of the 1980s.
>
> Funny thing, reality.

It is. I just don't think you are there. The U.S. produces ~6 Million
barrels a day of oil,
and consumes over 20.7 M barrels a day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crude_oil_production.
Refined products do go out of the country (particularly diesel fuels
to Europe), but we
by far use more energy than we produce - and that has been the case
since the 1970's...
The days of $200/barrel oil are on the way....

-- Dave