[ale] vi question

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 25 07:35:05 EST 2010

Pat Regan wrote:

> On 02/24/10 20:19, Geoffrey wrote:
>> As you move across a line of code with the cursor, and it hits one, it
>> immediately jumps to the matching one and back.  You get to the point
>> where you don't know where the hell the cursor really is.
>>

> I think I agree that this is ridiculous.  I assumed it'd be doing
> something sane like just highlighting the matching paren.  Having it
> move the actual cursor would drive me nuts.

I misspoke.  It appears to move the cursor, but simply highlights the
matching cursor.  But when you've got something like this:

DATE=$(perl -e '{my ($d,$m,$y) =
	(localtime((time() - (60 * 60 * 24))))[3,4,5];
         printf "%d/%d/%d\n", $m + 1, $d, $y - 100;}')

It will drive you nuts trying to move down the line to a particular
character.

The main problem is, when it highlights the matching character, you lose
track of where the cursor really is.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."