[ale] vi question

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Feb 24 20:19:20 EST 2010

Pat Regan wrote:

> On 02/24/2010 04:38 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
>> I guess a recent update to vi has a new functionality that whenever my
>> cursor falls on a {[( it automatically shows me the matching one.
>>
>> I don't know about anyone else, but this has got to be the stupidest
>> thing I've ever seen, particularly when you have a goodly number of such
>> beasts.
>
> I'm a heavy emacs user, so I am a bit ignorant here.  I'd be very
> annoyed if my editor DIDN'T point out matching parens and braces.
> Especially when there are a large number of them :).

I want it to do that when I want it, not when I'm moving my cursor
across a line of code.  I can match them simply by putting my cursor on
on one and then pressing %.

> Does vi do something silly like jumping to off screen parens just to
> show them to you?

As you move across a line of code with the cursor, and it hits one, it
immediately jumps to the matching one and back.  You get to the point
where you don't know where the hell the cursor really is.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson