[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:50:37 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> After hanging up I started thinking about building a cement bunker and
> put all my money there. No banks, no plastic.
>
> Within the past 3 years I have seen check authorization processes and
nightly uploads to the Federal Reserve Bank occur using absolutely no form
of encryption at all. From the check reader at the store to the receiving
end is nothing but a modem and a phone line and a fairly well documented
data packing process. The upload to the Fed use(s/d) plain ftp.

Banks routinely use plain ftp to bulk transfer account data over commercial
Internet connections between branches.

I was appalled. When I found it was common practice I completely floored.

James P. Kinney III