[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:49:52 EST 2010

On 02/22/2010 09:10 AM, Avery Ceo wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com
> <mailto:skotchman at gmail.com>> wrote:

>      > 2) You won't get local police to investigate.  If you have something
>      > solid, however, there is someone who will.  Believe it or not,
>     primary
>      > investigative jurisdiction on "access device fraud - including credit
>      > and debit cards falls, to the Secret Service.  We called them
>     directly,
>      > and they were very happy for the info we were able to give them.  The
>      > faster you move to call them, the better chance they have -
>     cameras, etc.
>      >
>     How? Do you think it's too late for me to contact Secret Service?
>

> I pulled the number off their web site
> -http://www.secretservice.gov/field_offices.shtml .  Atlanta field
> office number is (404) 331-6111.  As for how late is too late, it can't
> see how it would hurt to give them the information and let them decide.
>
> Avery

Last Fri evening I had tried calling that # for Atlanta, but they were
already closed for the weekend. I was able to go through their multiple
menu layers and was finally able to leave a voice mail to the regional
agent on call, but haven't received any call back yet. Is that the same
# your company used in the past? At this point paranoia is setting in
really deep, so I ask, how sure can I be that it's not a phony web site
and how sure can I be that I am actually communicating with the Secret
Service and not some fake set-up? We hear how people are fooled by
people impersonating a police office with valid looking police id and
equipment and I could go on, but it is Monday and I don't want to put
everyone to sleep.