[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Avery Ceo avery.ceo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 07:21:36 EST 2010

Having just been through this, a couple of points:

1)  Federal law DOES cover debit cards as well.  As others noted, though,
you have to get the money back from the bank rather than the other way
around.  That can leave you flat broke until your next paycheck comes in.

2) You won't get local police to investigate.  If you have something solid,
however, there is someone who will.  Believe it or not, primary
investigative jurisdiction on "access device fraud - including credit and
debit cards falls, to the Secret Service.  We called them directly, and they
were very happy for the info we were able to give them.  The faster you move
to call them, the better chance they have - cameras, etc.

3) Even though they won't help you, file a police report anyway.  Your bank
will require it to write off the fraud, and the Secret Service isn't
officially a reporting agency, so it doesn't provide them.

Just my 3 cents,

Avery