[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 20:03:01 EST 2010

I can't add a whole lot to Michael's well-informed reply except to say that
your chances of getting a police response are not good. You have to be more
careful about exposing your debit card details, because the issuer
protections are not as good as those on your credit card. If you want to use
a card for small purchases, we are starting to see cards that are funded
like a PayPal account. I have a Revolution Money card and it doesn't even
have my name on it (!). A surprising number of merchants accept it now.
Since American Express now owns it, you will see more and more merchants
accepting it. I never fund it for more than $100.