[ale] Private Tomcat 6.0 Server and VMware Server 2.0

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Feb 19 18:58:23 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 17:23 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 02/19/2010 12:43 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > (although OpenVZ as announced development efforts
> > to support 2.6.32 with a target of about a month from now).

> That's the one thing that has been annoying me lately about OpenVZ.  LXC
> is pretty good, though there is one piece of software that I have yet to
> get working underneath it (FreeSWITCH, my phone system).  It will,
> however, run under OpenVZ.  I'd probably still be using that if they
> would just track the mainline and keep up with it.  I find myself
> wondering just why they don't do that.  I guess if they go with 2.6.32,
> they won't go again for supporting another kernel until 2.6.46.  :-P

Their stated goal has been to first and foremost address the enterprise
distributions.  For them, "mainline" has been 2.6.18 of late for RHEL
and CentOS.  Tracking a rapidly developing kernel is difficult and an
immense amount of work, especially when the rapid development in exactly
where most of your changes are (container and namespace and
virtualization).

> Hopefully, I will have some time to figure out what FreeSWITCH's issues
> are with running under LXC and get them solved, though.  I needed to use
> a very new kernel so my hand was forced away from OpenVZ/Proxmox.

Yeah, that's curious.  I'd really be interested in knowing where the
problems are there.  If they are network related, I might have a few
suggestions (like avoiding macvlan for the moment and stick with bridged
- there are some corner cases which are not quite working properly).

> 	--- Mike

Regards,
Mike