[ale] OT: DeKalb Sets Public Meeting On Comcast

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Feb 18 15:44:03 EST 2010

On 02/18/2010 06:40 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> krwatson at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
>> DeKalb Sets Public Meeting On Comcast
>>
>> DECATUR - DeKalb County will hold a public meeting on Friday, Feb. 19
>> at 6:00 p.m. at the Manuel J. Maloof Auditorium, 1300 Commerce Drive,
>> to discuss Comcast Cable Communication's desire to renew its
>> franchise with the County.
>
> Comcast is by far the worst company I've ever dealt with when it comes
> to 'no customer service.'

On the residential side, I have to agree.  They are pretty awful 90%+ of
the time.  Most of them think that 'ping' is a special purpose utility
that only they have access to to 'ping' (e.g., reboot) your CM, and
virtually nobody at the residential help desk can properly file a ticket
for a routing issue, even if you spell it out for them.  They are, it
seems, trained to always blame the customer's wiring for any issue that
comes in to the help desk that isn't something stupidly trivial like an
email password reset.  Back when they provided NNTP service, they didn't
know how to support that, either, even though it ought to have been in
their support database and searchable by keyword.

Nowadays, I am actually rather happy when I call Comcast for technical
issues.  The business class people know what ping and traceroute are,
know how to recognize when your issue isn't CPE or wiring (and know how
to recognize when you have actually troubleshot those things), and are
generally pretty easy to talk to.  Whereas before, I would have to go
and say "Uh-huh, I did that, yes, I used MSIE, of course I checked that
the coax connections are tight, by the way did you get the part where I
can ping Google but not Slashdot, and did you get the part where the
traceroute dies at Level 3", now I can say, "Hello, I am having issues
getting to this particular list of places on the Internet.  There
appears to be a routing issue located <wherever>.  Can I send you the
traceroute logs, or can you run a traceroute to verify it?"  and they do
so, and they don't so much as mention "resetting my cable modem" or
"please check that your coax and Ethernet connections are snug" or any
of that crap.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475