[ale] [OT] good FREE windisease anti-virus software

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:53:37 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 1:34 AM, Avery Ceo <avery.ceo at gmail.com> wrote:
> ClamWin is going to be your only open source option, and my Windows clients
> and family have been very happy with it on their desktop machines.  Since
> this is a laptop, though, it  is important to note that it does NOT do

ClamWin seems really slow compared to commercial antivirual packages.
(at least in my
experience). I would recommend Avast or Avira AntiVir for ongoing blocking,
as IMO any antivirus programj that isn't doing active blocking is not
going to keep the machine
from getting reinfected. I also have been pretty impressed with Comodo
free products, but I
would recommend looking at reviews to see who is on top these days..

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php (Malwarebyte's AntiMalware) seems
to be pretty
good at getting rid of the some of the worst of the infections.

-- Dave Ritchie