[ale] cars (was: unusual global warming experiment)

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:29:12 EST 2010

Jim Kinney wrote:
<snipped>
> Get rid of the steering wheel for
> all but the most rural, desolate areas so the cars can be far lighter
> and pollute less (of all tailpipe outputs).

ugh, steering wheels cause (and have caused) more deaths in an accident
than people realize.  in a front impact you now have a shaft capable of
pushing into your chest which houses your delicate internal organs.
this is why changing the factory steering wheel to something smaller is
discouraged.

newer cars are better about this, but it was a slow transition.  most
just thought the answer was a seatbelt.

> Even better still, make them
> so they can "train" together and only have to push the air out of the
> way for the first car.

ah, 'drafting' (or tailgating for you in law enforcement).  this is even
seen being used by birds on long journeys.  most people don't realize
that the birds 'trade off' the lead position to other birds in order to
conserve their energy for the trips.

> If my car could drive itself home I could spend more time at the pub! It
> would be boost to the local economy!

definitely a plus.  :)