[ale] little math

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 11 11:28:25 EST 2010

On 2/11/2010 9:05 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Use the existing chunk of random data as a source. Now write a random
> length of that source with some math done on it using another random
> length. Mix in some random inversions and reversals and some overwrites
> of the existing data and continue untill the drive is full.

So... what you're really suggesting is, effectively, reading from a
pseudo-random source rather than a genuinely random one.  Which seems
totally reasonable in this context, although 1TB of pseudo-random
data is a nice big sample for an attacker to analyze.  If the pattern
of block allocations on the encrypted FS was also fairly unpredictable,
though, the pseudo-random cyclic behavior might be effectively masked
by the embedded genuine randomness of chunks of actual encrypted FS
data.

Doesn't Linux provide a character device for pseudo-random data?

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"