[ale] Sound question

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Feb 10 14:35:51 EST 2010

On 2/10/2010 12:24 PM, Ryan Marshall wrote:

> Well, I've got more questions than answers, really.
>
> First, are you using a realtime kernel?

I don't think so.  I used to build kernels all the time, but now
I'd prefer to stick with distro-supplied ones if possible, for fear
of breaking something else :-(

>  Secondly, why aren't you
> using jack?

Mainly because of:

 >> Now there are so many acronyms
 >> and packages involved that I have absolutely no idea what they're
 >> all doing.

I do have jack installed.  When I tell csound to use it, via
-+rtaudio=jack, it complains: "rtjack(): cannot connect to JACK
server".  jackd is running.

>  IIRC, I usually pull between 40 and 60 ms of latency and
> that's a mostly vanilla setup.  I know it can get much lower with the
> right tweaks and hardware.

Just adding -+rtaudio=alsa to the csound command line reduced
latency to negligible levels, although I'm getting a horrendous
constant high-pitched whine and some nasty artifacts.  I can
see I'm sort of on the right track, though.

> Also, Jack may be a mess when it comes to the UI and config, but once
> you figure it out, it really is a wonderful tool.

The problem I'm having right now is being totally clueless about
how all the layers of Linux sound architecture fit together, which
ones I need and which not, etc.  I'd love to read something about
how all that stuff is supposed to work together (ALSO, PulseAudio,
JACK, etc).

Thanks,

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"