[ale] A little math

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Feb 10 12:46:49 EST 2010

On 2/10/2010 10:14 AM, Sean McNealy wrote:
> Testing to a file on my machine (no raid going on)
> 512000000 bytes (512 MB) copied, 81.1661 s, 6.3 MB/s
>
> extrapolation: 1TB @ 6.3 MB/s is 44 hours.  Wow, that is a long time.
>
> I forget the relevant specs for this machine, but for comparison
> copying that same 512MB file was:
> 512000000 bytes (512 MB) copied, 7.091 s, 72.2 MB/s

What are you comparing to?

In theory, a SATA 3 drive on a SATA 3 interface should be able to
push 300MB/s, which would get you through a whole TB in about
an hour.  Even the fastest pre-SATA drives are going to be at
least 10x slower, and if it's a USB drive, slower yet. 8 days
seems really slow, though.  You haven't got it hanging off a
USB 1.0 interface by any chance?

-- JK, putting to use knowledge gained through recent experience.

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"