[ale] here's one for the script wizards

fletch at phydeaux.org fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Feb 10 11:59:55 EST 2010

> Sorry, I wasn't specific enough.  I'm looking to separate all the
> parenthesized words from the non-parenthesized:
>
> input: foo (bar) ice cream (brown) sky is blue (airplane flies) just flies
>
> output:
> foo ice cream sky is blue just flies
> (bar) (brown) (airplane flies)     --- with or without parenthesis, it
> doesn't matter.

Presuming the parens aren't nested

$ echo 'foo (bar) ice cream (brown) sky is blue (airplane flies) just
flies' | perl -lne
'my(@n, at p);my at d=m{(\(?[^()]+\)?)\s+}g;push@{$_%2==0?\@n:\@p},$d[$_]for
0..$#d;print join(" ", at n);print join(" ", at p);'
foo ice cream sky is blue just
(bar) (brown) (airplane flies)

But the problem statement's still kinda vague.
fletch at phydeaux.org|  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'