[ale] VLM & LUKS

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Feb 9 12:11:44 EST 2010

On 02/08/2010 11:23 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> I am in the process of changing out a 500GB for a 1TB. When I had
> originally installed Fedora 12 I created three volume groups, using LUKS
> on all 3. I had also created 2 swap files as LUKS logical volumes split
> between 1st and 2nd VG. The hdd change is the 3rd VG and it only has 1
> lv. I had removed the original 500gb from LVM and then did the physical
> switching around the drives. I have now recreated the 3rd VG with 1 LV
> on the new 1TB.
>
> I had first ran smartctl short and long on it and now I'm running
> mkfs.ext4 -c -c on it. Once that is done what do I need to do to enable
> it as a LUKS volume? I would also like to use my global passphrase for
> my other LUKS volumes, is that possible after the fact?

Usually the dm-crypt (aka LUKS) layer sits below the LVM layer. EG you
set up a single, large partition with cryptsetup, then make it a lvm
physical volume, the set up your volume groups and logical volumes on
it, then create fileysystems. That's why you can use one passphrase to
unlock all your filesystems. Did you have it set up differently before?

There might be relevant info at

http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=LUKS

--
All the best,