[ale] Q: cron.daily in ubuntu-9.04

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Tue Feb 9 09:49:43 EST 2010

ALErs -

I have a cron script that runs properly in '/etc/cron.hourly' but is not run in '/etc/cron.daily'

The respective entries in '/etc/crontab' are:
---
# m h dom mon dow user  command
17 *    * * *   root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
---

The 'man 5 crontab' entry says:
---
       # Removed invocation of anacron, as this is now handled by a
       # /etc/cron.d file
---

This looks to be the case in my installation, too.

Question:
Can I remove the 'anacron' invocation in '/etc/crontab' and expect the tasks will be handled correctly by
 '/etc/cron.d/anacron'?

Thanks.

 - Mills