[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 4 10:22:32 EST 2010

On 2/4/2010 8:07 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Why do you assume the far end is trusted?

... because he's backing his stuff up there.

Ed is asking for an encrypted view of an un-encrypted local filesystem,
for purposes of backup to a remote location. The only reason I can
think of to want that, is for security during transport.  The nature
of the remote location was unspecified, so I assume that it's not an
issue.  Maybe he's backing up to a teletype in SAC HQ where gnomes carefully
write down the incoming data on parchment, store it in a hardened fireproof
lockbox, store that in a vault 15 stories underground, and then commit mass
suicide immediately thereafter.  None of that would be pertinent to the
question of why one would want an encrypted view of a clear local filesystem.
If the objective is to secure the data stream in transit, then the
straightforward answer would be to, well, encrypt the data stream in
transit.

Maybe I'm missing something, though.

-- JK