[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Wed Feb 3 17:09:46 EST 2010

I've heard of people getting a web hosting account at one of these free
hosting companies that boasts unlimited bandwidth and storage with shell
access and rsync'ing to those.

rsync.net is a service targeted specifically to this.  It looks like
they charge $0.80/GB though, so that is probably too pricey

Amazon S3 might also be an option and is more affordable at about
$0.08/GB/month IIRC.  They are also offering free inbound bandwidth for
a few months.   I've used S3 for a while to sync my ~50GB of important
stuff and my bill is around $8 or $9/month.

More recently, I have some dedicated servers with spare disk space to
which I rsync periodically.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts