[ale] If your using large Sata drives in raid 5/6 ....

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Tue Feb 2 18:23:22 EST 2010

This past weekend, I migrated my filer from 3-disk RAID 5 to 4-disk RAID
10 primarily for this reason. Everything that was of much value was
backed up elsewhere, so the basic procedure for pulling this off with 5
disks instead of 7 was:

1. Create the RAID 10 array with 2 missing members
2. rsync
3. Remove 2 members from the RAID 5 array, add them into the RAID 10
array and let the array rebuild

The performance boost is very noticeable, especially if I'm working on
the ESX box that this filer feeds when the nightly rdiff-backup jobs
kick in.