[ale] writing to tape

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:04:57 EST 2010

Maybe I should clean the geezer-goggles more often. I didn't see the " was
before the | and not at the of the dd line.

<DOH!>

So you are tar'ing to STDOUT over an ssh connection and piping that to a
tape drive. Yep. Connection latency will be a major problem. The suggested
mbuffer is also available for Fedora. It may be different as it appears to
provide statistics about a process.

Maybe an rsync over ssh then a tar to tape would be more efficient. It would
require the local system to have enough hard drive space but that's easy.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Just a probably dumb question but why pipe a tar output to a dd? Why not
> > use Tape ARchiver (tar) directly to write to the tape?
> > (maybe I should reread the entire thread....)
>
> To be honest, I don't recall.  Probably because we are tarring on the
> other end?  We are tarring from another machine as follow:
>
> ssh $SERVER "tar -cf - $BackupThis" | dd bs=10k of=/dev/nst0
>

> > 2010/2/2 Björn Gustafsson <bg-ale at bjorng.net <mailto:bg-ale at bjorng.net>>
> >
> >     On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Geoffrey
> >     <lists at serioustechnology.com <mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com>>
> >     wrote:
> >      > Greg Freemyer wrote:
> >      >> What's your command line including pipes.
> >      >
> >      > ssh servername "tar -cf - $BackupThis" | dd bs=10k of=/dev/nst0
> >
> >     I don't know if it works with GNU tar, but you might want to try the
> >     -B switch and/or to set `-b 20' to explicitly match the dd blocksize.
> >     (20 should be the default though.)
> >
> >     After quickly checking the GNU tar manpage, it seems to indicate that
> >     -B only works for reads, but it might be worth a try anyway.
> >
> >     --
> >     Björn Gustafsson

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> > Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III