[ale] writing to tape

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Feb 1 08:29:57 EST 2010

The numbers are f+p (full and partial) blocks.

There's a good explanation of this at:
http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/dd.1.html

It says:
"When finished, dd displays the number of complete and partial input and
output blocks, truncated input records and odd-length byte-swapping
blocks to the standard error output.  A partial input block is one where
less than the input block size was read.  A partial output block is one
where less than the output block size was written.  Partial output
blocks to tape devices are considered fatal errors.  Otherwise, the rest
of the block will be written.  Partial output blocks to character
devices will produce a warning message.  A truncated input block is one
where a variable length record oriented conversion value was specified
and the input line was too long to fit in the conversion record or was
not newline terminated.

Normally, data resulting from input or conversion or both are aggregated
into output blocks of the specified size.  After the end of input is
reached, any remaining output is written as a block.  This means that
the final output block may be shorter than the output block size."