[ale] Slightly Off Topic - Linux/Internet aboad Royal Carribean?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Dec 28 18:38:40 EST 2010

Mike, thanks for the response.   The plot thickens slightly.

Indeed both Royal Carribean and Verizon agree that the ships involved
have CDMA tower support on-board.    They also indicate that one can
switch one's domestic smartphone data plan to a Global Access data plan
for the 10 days involved and just pay the pro-rated $69/month for
unlimited data on-board.   (as opposed to the $29 domestic data plan. )
>From there it would seem to be just a downhill slide to turning on the
wifi hotspot on the Android phone.   At least then you aren't paying
minutes every time the smart phone hits an Imap server.    I'll need to
call again in a couple of days and see if I still get the same answer.

I wonder if the ships have two separate data sources to support cell
phone and on-board internet, or if it all comes out of the same pipe.
How would they prioritize?

When we were on Roatan, EVERYONE, hotel staff included, used Skype
rather than the local phone system.   I actually made a deal with the
hotel manager to bring and set up a wireless router for him as long as I
got to use it while we were there.    There are internet "cafes" which
exist solely to make phone calls.

While we're on cell/internet, I've been testing a Wilson Sleek cell
repeater.   It does seem to provide about 16-20dB improvement in cell
signal with the little rubber duckie antenna.   Their prior devices have
been a pain to connect, with different adapters for each phone.   The
Sleek definitely makes that easier - it couples right through the back
of the phone, and functions as a cradle.   Much less crap to deal
with.

I haven't taken a trip to the real boonies to see how it works with a
bigger trucker antenna.

Neal