[ale] Slightly Off Topic - Linux/Internet aboad Royal Carribean?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Dec 28 13:27:06 EST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, Neal Rhodes wrote:

> My apologies if this already was covered this week.
>
> Anybody know the real deal regarding internet services aboard Royal
> Carribean ships?   Apparently their staff doesn't.   I'm getting roped

2 years ago... on a Carribean ship,
It was expensive, and I was on vacation.
But the "cyber-lounge" had a free afternoon one day.
I popped by with my iPhone, bought a gin and tonic,
and checked my mail with no issues.

On a Disney cruise 5 years ago, there was bursty but usable
Wifi in the adults only (no kids) coffee shop.

There is no reason it won't work on anything that
does WiFi and DHCP.. and can open up a web browser
to "accept the terms of service", free or not.

But you will probably find that only web services
work. It's usually via a satellite uplink and
has some high latency and low bandwidth.