[ale] Best way of setting up a 2nd monitor.

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Mon Dec 27 09:15:00 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 08:50:01AM -0500, Greg Clifton wrote:

> DVI & HDMI are the same DIGITAL signal but HDMI incorporates sound along
> with video. As others have said, if you are running a 30' video cable,
> you want to go with a digital signal, not an analog one as with VGA.
> Finding a 30' VGA cable won't be easy or cheap (should be made with high
> quality low impedance cable), but a 30' HDMI cable (purchased locally)
> will probably take your breath away. For cables such as that, Ebay is
> your friend. You might also try monoprice.com. I haven't scouted them for
> HDMI, but have purchased hundreds of 3 wire fan extension cables from
> them. BTW, you do NOT need a Monster Cable or other such premium cable
> for HDMI. In fact, from what I have seen, the cheaper cables have
> performed as well as or better than the high dollar HDMI cables in head
> to head tests. Basically, the noise that is such a problem with an analog
> signal is ignored in digital signal and either the cable works or it
> doesn't. One further note, HDMI devices have a communication link that
> "tells" the source (video card, DVD player, etc.) what the display is
> capable of so you get something on the order of an auto-configuration.
> Finally, HDMI cables have a pretty weak connector that is easily broken
> if bent. I have noticed some HDMI cables that have a swivel on the end
> which should help prevent breakage.

I bought a pair of 12 ft 24 GA preium quality HDMI cables from monoprice.
They delivered quickly, inexpensively, and they worked like a champ.

Highly recommended.

BAJ

> [...]
> 1 and the other type 2), VGA, composite, S-Video and RF. I wasn't able
> to try the HDMI as my current setup the viewsonic uses the HDMI output
> from the MoBo and I can't use the HDMI at the same time leaving only the
> VGA output, that is why I was wondering if I should leave my Viewsonic
> alone and install my HD3650 PCIe x16 for the VIZIO, this way I could go
> with HDMI or as you mentioned DVI-HDMI for the VIZIO. I could probably
> try it tomorrow, I think the VIZIO did come with a short HDMI cable.
>
> I had also seen something about the limitations of Compiz-Fusion is
> restricted to a combined resolution that I had figured would be smaller
> than my 2 screens side by side, but was fine with one over the other.
> What effect would that have on my virtual display? Also what would
> happen if I were to set one over the other?
> >> On Dec 26, 2010 4:58 PM, "Scott Castaline" <skotchman at gmail.com<mailto:skotchman at gmail.com>
> >> <mailto:skotchman at gmail.com<mailto:skotchman at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >>
> >> I reference an earlier post as to using my HDTV as the 2nd monitor. This
> >> is just a temporary solution until I get the necessary hardware for a
> >> separate box for a MythTV solution. I am wondering if I'd be better off
> >> using a 2nd video card for the other screen instead of using the 2nd
> >> display port of the onboard video. My thought was to go with a 30ft VGA
> >> cable from the VGA port to the TV. Doing that is there a way to control
> >> which screen gets what desktop objects or can I just drag and drop them
> >> to the desired part of the virtual display.
> >>
> >>  From what I've been able to find about xrandr it seems to only allow
> >> positioning the 2nd screen either to the left, right, above or below the
> >> primary screen, but no mention of object placement on the desktop. On
> >> another forum someone had suggested using a separate video card or at
> >> least something other than the onboard video to do this. Also before I
> >> get the cable should I consider HDMI or would VGA be ok? As I said in my
> >> earlier post I do have a HD3650 PCIe x16 card so I could go that route
> >> which would allow me to go with the HDMI option since my primary is
> >> using the DVI port on the onboard not allowing the use of the HDMI which
> >> would require the use of VGA.
> >>
> >> With these options which way am I better going?
> >>
> >> 1. Primary monitor on the onboard vdeo DVI port and 2nd monitor on the
> >> VGA port same video bd.  getting a 30 ft cable.
> >>
> >> 2. Primary monitor on the onboard video DVI port and the 2nd monitor on
> >> the HD3650 going either VGA or HDMI same length cable needed.
> >>
> >> Also I believe on another thread (Re: [ale] xinit, autoexec, xorg, gdm,
> >> kdm, etc.etc.,) Bryon Jeff (or Jeff Bryon) mentions running a 2nd copy
> >> of X Server allowing 2 separate users with graphical access to the
> >> system. I am wondering what is involved in setting that up and how
> >> complicated would that be to do? What options to configurations would I

Byron A. Jeff
Department Chair: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff