[ale] Any Chemical types here?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Dec 26 09:58:27 EST 2010

I have put this off longer that sanity suggests is safe: Anybody on this
list use one of the open source chemical structure editors on a regular
basis? Which one suits you best, given your needs?

Back story:

I start teaching a freshman level Organic/Biochem class to a crowd of
community college students in another week and change. I need a structure
editor with which to create chemical structures for import to
OpenOffice which is my currently chosen document creation solution (buzz
word central - sorry). For at least the first session, I will need to
create 50-60 molecular structures a week, on the budget of an adjunct
teacher at a state school (ie. no budget at all). Worse (in a way) it is a
small school, and I'm the only chemical type on staff at all. All my
chemical/education contacts are Windows types, and thus not terribly
useful in this case.

Currently, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on the laptop, and Fedora 13 on the
desktop without development systems on either. I know how to get the
developement systems working under Fedora, but I've been less successful
with Ubuntu.

Any clues running around the list?

Thanks for the assistance in advance people. Even if I cann't get to
Atlanta functions, this is an awesome resource here!