[ale] old newbie

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 25 20:25:58 EST 2010

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010, Scott Castaline wrote:

> On 12/25/2010 06:20 PM, Cornelis van Dijk wrote:
>> Hello alers,
>> ... For instance, one can hardly get a
>> motherboard that has IDE ports on it. Some may have only one. What to
>> do with my IDE harddrives. and dvd burners, let alone my SCSI
>> equipment? I have to get all SATA or USB? Even my 2006 Scott Mueller
>> book  (Upgrading and Repairing PC's) is out of date. Are there
>> adapters for IDE to SATA  for example. Is there anyone with similar
>> problems or is there a good site for old newbie's like me?

I bought a SATA <-> IDE in-line converter from Frys. It's intended to
occupy (hog?) one IDE port and provide one SATA drop, or vice-versa. I
haven't tried it yet.  It plugs into the MB IDE port, or the drive's IDE
receptacle, with a SATA cable making up the other leg. There's a switch to
set directionality. The model I bought draws power from the MB on a small,
separate connector.

I'm walking the other side of this: newer drives with an old MB.

  - Mills