[ale] any suggestions on an automated method for blocking repeated failed ssh login attempts?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Dec 24 01:23:00 EST 2010

I am sorry if the reply didn't go in-thread (that also means that there is
little chance that this one will be in-thread, as I am using the same email
software on my phone to write it.  I need to get off my lazy ass and write
an email client for Android that works the way it ought to, with proper
support for encryption, digital signatures, threading... and mod the system
to support a LUKS encrypted SD card, and... nevermind).

I was indeed referring to you (MWH), and I was replying to the message
asking about your thoughts on login delays.  I hope that provides sufficient
context.

Also I was mentioning a system that employs encryption (of course I didn't
write the encryption code in it; I am nowhere near qualified enough for
that, nor am I qualified to review or audit the source code of the
encryption used, so it is a black box to me) which I am writing for the
purpose of creating a "perfect backup" (lossless w/ acl/xattrs, compressed,
random-access at the file level, encrypted, able to span multiple media and
retain all of these properties).  But I do know that passwords require
transformation before they can be used as keys, and I know that KDFs do a
large part of that, in concert with salting and hashing, and that the number
of iterations has a natural impact on delay.

--
Sent from my G2 running CyanogenMod!
That is, a phone. :)