[ale] any suggestions on an automated method for blocking repeated failed ssh login attempts?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 00:21:25 EST 2010

Here's a scenario:

multiple rings of security with the innermost having FBI background checks
and security clearances, vault doors, dedicated fiber lines, treason
convictions etc. I work with the stuff outside of that arena and it has two
layers: non-classified but sensitive and/or export controlled, and
non-classified and not export controlled. Certain groups of people are not
allowed to connect except to the outermost , unsecured network.

People need to be able to ssh into the controlled arena to "do things". The
laptops are currently not full drive encrypted (windows is a problem and the
Mac systems have a different issue - no one is use Linux laptops which don't
have a problem with drive encryption). So the need to keep ssh keys
encrypted is high.

In general, people are lazy. If they can find a way to remove the encryption
from the key, they will. Thus the need to find a way to test if a users key
is _still_ encrypted.

the only reason I have for keeping keys in the vault is for back checking in
the event of a breach. The key hash is more important to me as it can be
sent around and used to check if a key is encrypted or not. It the new key
has matches the original bare key hash, bad times are in order.

The pub key in ldap gives a way to quickly add/remove access for a key user.
I wish it was a standard thing in sshd.

I see your point about access keys and no need for escrow. I need to look at
auditd logs a bit more but I think they don't have that level of detail
during a connections authentication section.

These remote machine are OS controlled by me and the others I work with so
it's possible to add in an sshd that allows a connection back triggered by a
connection to my network. That back connect can run a hash on the connected
user's priv key and compare it to the one hash of the unecrypted key stored
earlier.

This would be easier if ssh had a patch that allowed a compile flag
requiring a password on keys.

Happily, most of the people that need this access are mostly carbon-based
life forms. A few are probably part silicon and sulfur...