[ale] interesting salary data posted by Red Hat

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Dec 22 14:27:05 EST 2010

On 12/22/2010 01:45 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Once the business gets above some magic size, the Linux usage is
> overwhelmingly RedHat. Using something other than RedHat is almost
> unheard of in .gov (some fedora for cutting edge installs or special lib
> needs). The suits go for the name. The gov suits go for the testing
> creds of the OS. It doesn't hurt that RedHat leads the pack in terms of
> developing for large-scale infrastructure needs and large installation
> hardware. A huge chunk of kernel commits for big infrastructure hardware
> have redhat.com <http://redhat.com> addresses.

when I was contracting back to Avaya doing Witness installs ( Witness is
now Verint), the ONLY OS it was certified on was RHEL, and it started at
RHEL v3.2 and finally moved up to 5.2 recently. We were always using
such an OLD version that we had problems with new hardware, RAID Perc
controllers, SATA drives... and I ALWAYS got it to work after talking to
Red Hat tech support, except ONCE, when that combo of Dell server &
drive just was not supported YET.. I have nothing but high regard for
the Red Hat tech guys..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800