[ale] interesting salary data posted by Red Hat

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:45:31 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> One IT product vendor's talent pool versus that of another's.  I had
> thought Linux was supposed to let us be less coupled to vendors.

Once the business gets above some magic size, the Linux usage is
overwhelmingly RedHat. Using something other than RedHat is almost unheard
of in .gov (some fedora for cutting edge installs or special lib needs). The
suits go for the name. The gov suits go for the testing creds of the OS. It
doesn't hurt that RedHat leads the pack in terms of developing for
large-scale infrastructure needs and large installation hardware. A huge
chunk of kernel commits for big infrastructure hardware have
redhat.comaddresses.

If SuSE could muster the funds to suffer through the security testing that
RedHat did, they could be in gov places. I don't know if Ubuntu could ever
do that in the US as they are based outside the US. Debian doesn't have even
close to the infrastructure to do it. None of the others do either.

RedHat subscriptions are expensive. But they use that money to buy more
closed-source tools and opensource them or rewrite them as gpl v2-3. Plus
they seem to be pretty good at getting contracts to create new tools that
they can later opensource once the time limit has expired (satellite server
-> spacewalk, netscape directory server -> 389 server).

> On 12/22/10 1:25 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
> > The windows graphs (linked at page bottom) show fewer job openings for
> > less pay. Hmm, which way should I go...
> >

> > On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 12:55 -0500, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> >> http://jobgraphs.com/redhat-linux/

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.