[ale] facebook hacked?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:47:57 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Geoffrey Myers <
lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com
> > <mailto:jlightner at water.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I have a land line specifically for emergencies.
> >
> > If the wires exist into the house,  even with the landline DISCONNECTED,
> > it still supports the ability to call 911. My landline has been off for
> > 3 years. But the alarm monitoring over the landline still works as well.
> > Unless the wires are physically cut, once connected, always connected.
>
> This is very surprising to me. So you still have dialtone on the
> landline?  You sure the alarm monitoring is working?  My only guess is,
> you have a line there they don't know about because alarm systems call
> out and they don't generally call 911.

I's my understanding that the alarms don't dial. They use a side channel
data stream (very low bit rate) only available on touchtone networks.

I have picked up an old phone on the landline and still get a dialtone (a
year ago). From conversations with a phone tech a while back, a
disconnection means a computer setting that doesn't allow connections to
complete. They're not going to roll a truck to have a tech pull wires out of
a connection at a dslam.

Interesting, isn't it?