[ale] facebook hacked?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Dec 18 23:04:26 EST 2010

Ok. Actually I do see irony in this whole conversation. All four of
my adult children use Facebook, as well as my daughter-in-law. Well,
actually they used to use it more than lately, but that is a whole 'nother
can of worms. If the grandchildren's parents would post more pictures,
I might get more out of them, although I'm not a picture fan - just some
local friends are picture fans (of my grandchildren - go figure). Pictures
are no substitute (for me at least) for going for a walk with the child,
holding hands on the sidewalk, working on teaching a three year old to
cross four lanes of traffic (she gets it, just not completely) and pushing
children on swings until grumpy is exhausted.

What I wind up with on Facebook is lots and lots of announcements about
sports (boring and pointless despite being a major economic engine),
anouncements of some family member with yet another friend (that one is a
social butterfly - and needs all the friends he can get) and OMG a
butterfly type stuff which leaves me utterly cold.

I do have one friend on Facebook who will post neat links to security
stuff, which I appreciate and follow, but his posts have a _long_ half
life for validity. (And he forgot to post that his wife was pregnant - for
which I should beat him. But again, long half life stuff)

So much for Facebook. Some good stuff, certainly. And a _lot_ of pointless
(for my uses) cruft. Makes me narcissistic I guess to be interested in
lesser stuff and value my own time.

Texting? Didn't like the cost, or the tiny screen for my eyes, so never
picked up a habit. Plus, trying to teach at a community college, and
failing to compete with student's texting (and cell phones). I've got
single parents (and have been a single parent), so I'm not against the
cell phone so child care can summon the parent. But when I'm working with
somebody trying to figure out their calculator and taking logs, and
they interupt to check a  text - I'm not cool with that. And don't get me
started on cell phones/texting while driving... (Hint: I'm agin' it)

Yes I have a land line - because the cell phone dies in the house. But the
cell phone has an answering machine on it also, although it is called
"voice mail". And in either case, my caller is going to be recorded if I'm
already talking to somebody. I'm funny that way.

There is a time and a place for all of this, and I am probably not the
correct person to figure out the best social balance. I deeply _value_
face time with important (to me) people, and I'll travel significant
distance to achieve it. You found good food? Lets go! (sorry, beer
interfers with some pharmacueticals I'm required to take). I'll have
troubles getting excited about most movies/theater - sorry about being
defective. But I can be tempted anyways by the company. (OTOH - a good
chemical or physics demonstration, especially the kind with loud noises -
I'll go just about any time)

Sorry about ranting, and to the innocent bystanders, thank you for your
patience.