[ale] Debian and wireless

jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:36:05 EST 2010

I put Debian 5, 64bit version on my laptop . I prefer Debian and want to use it. My problem is that I don't know what packages I need to install in order to get the wireless to work. I know my wireless devices on this machine work with Linux because they work fine under Knoppix. What packages do I need to install?? Should the kernel configuration already be fine the way it is, or do I need to configure and re-compile it to make all of my wireless networking operate correctly?
I want it to see th SSIDs that are broadcast, etc.

Thanks,
Jim Butler