[ale] FBI Added Secret Backdoors to OpenBSD IPSEC

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Dec 15 21:49:11 EST 2010

Oh,

Pop some popcorn.  This is getting more and more entertaining.

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 17:19 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 11:50 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> > It would appear that the plot thickens:
> >
> > http://bsd.slashdot.org/story/10/12/15/1524202/BSD-Coder-Denies-Adding-FBI-Backdoor

> Some more info here:

> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129237675106730&w=2

> They pretty much make it clear that why they feel it could not be in the
> crypto code and the reasons why.  Having participated peripherally in
> the FreeS/WAN development back then and having the same problems hanging
> over my head (no code contributions, not no way, not no how) I can
> concur with this assessment.

> And more here from Rob McMillan:

> http://blogs.csoonline.com/1296/an_fbi_backdoor_in_openbsd

Jason Wright, who is explicitly called out by name in the original
E-Mail to Theo has chimed in and he sounds pissed.  Not just pissed at
Greg but annoyed at Theo as well for not giving him a heads up.  He's
emphatically denying everything and claiming Greg didn't even work at
NETSEC during the time frame in question.  That should be verifiable.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129244045916861&w=2

He's saying Greg left NETSEC in January of 2000 and work on OCF didn't
even begin until February of 2000 and has pointed people at his work and
invited an audit.

Now there's a bounty out for proof (albeit not a large bounty, but
still).

http://maycontaintracesofbolts.blogspot.com/2010/12/openbsd-ipsec-backdoor-allegations.html

A few restrictions that some are questioning and others calling relevant
but still...  Getting very interesting. Piss'n contests on all sides.

Regards,
Mike